Wednesday, January 03, 2007

A New Continent for the New Year!

Palacio de la Moneda in Santiago de Chile

I have now made it to South America after what was the longest day of my life! Because of the date change crossing the Pacific my 1st January was 42 hours long... It felt like something out of Groundhog Day, and did not do my New Years hangover much good!

Being in Chile is great, and I am extremely excited about launching into the South America part of my trip, which is really the home run before flying home. It is wicked to be back in the latin world, and Santiago is a pretty nice city. There are lots of palm trees, lots of parks and squares where families and couples (some shockingly extreme kissing action!) hang out, beautiful old colonial buildings and the temperature is so pleasant after the cold in New Zealand. I spent New Year's Eve in Auckland with a wooly hat on!

It definitely was a bit sad to say bye to New Zealand because I did have an amazing time there. The beauty of the South Island really is quite unbelievable. There is such an extreme variety of vegetation, even over small distances, and the landscape is always so dramatic. What really made my trip though was the great time I had with Milly and her family, who took great care of me. Apart from Christmas day at the beach, we also did some hiking in the Abel Tasman National Park, and some camping by the Nelson Lakes and in the Golden Bay area - I´ll put up some pics soon.

I survived perhaps the most dangerous part of the whole trip, being a passenger in Milly´s car so that is good too. It was great catching up with Milly who is heading full steam into promising environmental work and we certainly had a good laugh together, and with her friends we did a bit of partying with.

Anyway, its time to go out for a drink with some people at the hostel after a tough day's siteseeing, but I'll post some pics soon to liven this up! Oh, and Happy New Year!

The start of life?

NZ Christmas tree

Pororori River

Pancake rocks, Punakaiki

The fierce Tasman Sea

View from where I was staying in Nelson

Nelson

Campsite by Nelson Lakes

Bush by Nelson Lakes

Lake Rotoiti


Solar panel in the field

Music at Motueka Market

Xmas lunch with the Goldbergs

Gate to the fields

Chilling on the beach in the Abel Tasman Park

Beach in Abel Tasman

Ferns in the bush

Near Cleopatra's pool

The clearest water in the world at Pupu Springs

Sustainable?

Whaihirikiki beach

Seal on the beach!

View towards Whaihirikiki beach

The cricket ground in Wellington

Trendy cafe in Wellington

Taking pics from the train

View in the North Island

Auckland skyline

New Years at Skycity in Auckland

Barrage of tourist advertising

The beautiful colonial mansion I'm staying in

Paila Marina

Tributes to the Virgin of Santiago

Entrance to Cerro Sta. Lucia

Couple filled park!

Busy shoppers!
Link to the previous post:

No comments: